Music and worship
Music plays an important role in the worship at St John’s…
The Choir of St John’s is one of the leading church choirs in Edinburgh. It has around 30 members, and sings three services each Sunday: 9.30am Choral Matins, 10:30am Sung Eucharist, 6pm Evensong. We also sing concerts, special services and weddings.
The choir has a vibrant social life, including an annual weekend away.
The Choir has its own website, www.thechoir.co.uk.
Sing the Seasons CD
Sing the Seasons is a brief collection from the vast corpus of music written for the Liturgical Year, stretching from Advent to Christ the King via a few other feasts!
This CD, recorded by the Choir of St John’s, is available for £8 from the Church Office or the . Please contact the office if you would like to order a copy.
Director of music: Stephen Doughty
Organists: Peter Horsfall, Caroline Cradock, Stephen Doughty and David Goodenough
Producer: David Goodenough
Recorded in February 2010.
- Let the people praise thee – Noel de Jongh
- Let all mortal flesh keep silence – Edward Bairstow
- Quem vidistis pastores – Arthur Oldham
- At the manger Mary sings – Francis Grier
(commissioned for St John’s choir, first performed Advent 2009)
- Solus ad victimam – Kenneth Leighton
- I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills – William McKie
- Christ the Lord is risen today – Noel de Jongh
- God is gone up – Gerald Finzi
- I will sing with the spirit – David Goodenough
- Holy, holy, holy – John Kitchen
- Alleluya, salvation, glory and honour – Wilfred Emery
- Tu es Petrus – Henri Mulet
- O quam glorisosum – Bernard Rose
- Beati quorum via – Charles Villiers Stanford
- Let all the world in every corner sing – Kenneth Leighton